With the ever expanding reach of the internet, it is becoming increasingly important to understand how your identity is managed across various web platforms and also developing your own professional identity – something that can act as the primary node for all professional information about you.
The idea of establishing a professional identity is to provide a single source for all professional information about you, so someone looking for you finds everything they need to know about you in one place. If it is comprehensive and integrated enough, it should make further inquiry about you on other web services less relevant. There are a few important characteristics of an effective professional identity:
- A unique address. Your identity must have a unique reference point – your own URL works well – http://www.yourname.com
- Comprehensive. The platform should store all possible professional information about you. It is less valuable if the viewer has to search other places to fill in the gaps.
- Integrated. It needs to be able to perform well in all types of web services such as job search boards, search engines, and social media. There should be tools in place for SEO (search engine optimization) and full indexing of the content. In addition, there should be proper referencing for landing pages in social media.
- Accessible. The platform needs to be recognized in the industry, and it is crucial that the URLs perform well in all types of search engines – there is no value if the URLs are not found.
- Standardized. Viewers of an online identity should have at least some basic expectations of its structure, so they can quickly find the information they are looking for.
- Adaptable. As new technologies are introduced, it is crucial that the universal identity platform can be changed to utilize the new technologies. For example, it needs to have functionality to work with cellphone and tablet applications.
- Controllable. You should have control over what content is available to viewers and how it is displayed. When you subscribe to web services, you usually can control your content but it is not always clear how it is shared with third-parties.
A well designed professional website has all of these characteristics:
- You get your own domain name
- You can enter your contact information and all relevant professional information.
- Works well in Google search engines, and has a proper paging interface
- It usually appears high in Google rankings
- Based on an expanded resume foundation, it is standardized
- A data-centric approach should make it highly adaptable to new interfaces
- You own your professional website and control your content
TheProfessionalWebsite offers a professional website service that promotes the development of a professional identity and has all of the functionality mentioned above.